During this holiday season, I got really into baking. I spent hours in the kitchen learning new recipes, trying to master techniques and appreciating the art-form that IS a perfect pie crust.
One of my most favorite pies I made was a makeshift cherry apple pie (with a homemade crust!)
This was my favorite pie to make because I didn’t follow a recipe! I had one can of apples and one can of cherries so I decided to wing it. And this delicious pie was the outcome.
Cherry Apple Pie Recipe
What you need:
Pie Crust: I used the same recipe as the last pie I made! Find it here.
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp allspice
- 1 can cinnamon apples
- 1 can cherry filling
- 1 tbs melted butter
- 1 tbs sugar (I used turbinado, but any kind of sugar will work!)
How to make it:
- Make your pie crusts using this simple recipe.
- Combine brown sugar, flour, and allspice in a large bowl.
- Add apples and cherries and toss until mixture is well coated.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Place pie crust dough into a 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Press the dough firmly against the bottom and sides of the pan. Set aside.
- Roll the extra disk of dough on your floured surface. Slice the dough to create ribbons to weave across the top of your pie.
- Pour the apple mixture onto the crust in the pan.
- Add your dough ribbons to the top of your pie. You can weave them, braid them, or lay them randomly like I did – it will all taste the same! 😉
- Press the dough strips into the sides of the pan so that they adhere to the crust edge.
- Cover the edge of the pie with aluminum foil to prevent the crust edges from burning.
- Bake 35 minutes. Remove aluminum foil. Brush the crust with melted butter and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Continue baking for 10-20 minutes or until crust is a deep golden brown and filling is bubbling.
- Let the pie cool for at least 30 minutes, so the filling can set.
- Then enjoy!
If you decide to make this, tell me! I’d love to hear what you think! This was one of my favorite pies I’ve made so far, and it inspired me to get more creative in coming up with my own recipes!
20 responses to “Easiest Cherry Apple Pie Recipe (Chapel Pie?)”
This looks amazing! 😊 two of my favorite fruits – I’ll have to try this!
It came out so good! I hope you do try it! 🙂
This looks really easy, esp if you use a pre made crust (sorry I dont bake Not sure I could make my own crust!) I love apple cherry pie, chapel! LOVE IT!
It’s surprisingly easy to make your own crust, but I’m 100% sure it’ll taste just as great with a pre-made crust! 🙂
This looks so delicious. I just don’t know that I’d have the patience to do all that. I’m not much of a cook. LOL
Oh gosh, if I can do it so can you! I never really baked before this! 🙂
Oh my husband would absolutely love this. I will try to make this soon.
Share pictures when you do! 🙂
YUM! I hope you saved me a slice?
Wow. That looks incredible.
Great stuff and I can’t believe you didn’t follow a recipe 🙂
Oh my goodness…this would be devoured in our home. Had to pin it…thank you for sharing. Can’t wait to try it.
I hope you love it! 🙂
Looks so yummy! I made an apple pie post recently and the top design was a little similar 🙂
Great minds think alike! 🙂
I love them separately but have never thought to combine the two! Can’t wait to try this, yum!!
It’s so, so good!! I hope you love it! 🙂
Wow – this does look easy! And yummy too!
This looks delicious! I’ve never made a homemade pie before. I need to try it!
Yes you do! It’s so fun! 🙂