A few days ago, while going through some old boxes, my mother found this little sheet of paper. Written on it, were promises and goals she set for herself as a soon-to-be mother, to give me the best life possible. And with today being Mother’s Day, I thought it was perfect timing to share in hopes that they might inspire other mothers or soon-to-be mothers – I sure know it inspires me, and just reading this makes me look forward to motherhood that much more.
- I will always love and respect my child for who they are, and not for who I want them to be.
- I will not burden them with emotions and problems they are not equipped to deal with – remembering that I am the parent and they are the child.
- I will, when discipline is necessary, let my child know that I disapprove of what they do, not who they are.
- I will set limits for my child, and help them find security in knowing what is expected of them.
- I will make time for my child and cherish our moments together, realizing how important and fleeting they are.
- I will create a loving home environment and show my child that they are loved, whenever and however I can.
- I will be sure to give my child space – to grow, to dream, to succeed and even to fail.
- I will encourage them to experience the world and all its possibilities, guiding them in its ways and taking pains to leave them careful, but not fearful.
- I will take care of myself physically and emotionally so that I can be there for my child when they need me.
- I will try to be the kind of person I want my child to grow up to be – loving and fair-minded, morally-conscious, giving, hopeful, optimistic, positive, happy, outgoing, energetic, creative, and resourceful.
- I will tell them that I love them every day, and the last thing they will hear before they sleep at night, is at least one thing that they did that made me proud.
Wishing all the beautiful, superhero moms out there a very happy Mother’s Day! (Especially mine, love you mama!) ❤
12 responses to “Mother’s Day | 11 Promises My Mother Made to Me Before I Was Born”
Wow. That must have taken a LOT of commitment. Commitment and… Foresight!
That is beautiful and so deep. I’m also very lucky to have mother , and some more motherly figures in my life who have shaped me while teaching me that I can fly and become my own person.
This is amazing! ☺️
This is so beautiful!
I loved this sooo much!! Great list for all moms! You must appreciate your mother so much!!
Wonderful aspirations of a mother-to-be. Then the unexpected happens.
Thanks for the follow 🙂
[…] honor of you, Mama, and as a reminder of how I want to mother my own children, I wanted to share this post with you […]
This is so beautiful! And in the pictures you can see the bond that you have. I want to write a letter like this to my baby (in the future, I’m not pregnant yet… Sadly), to give to them when they’re a little older.
Beautiful! All mothers should have this list when expecting their first child. Your mother had it figured out. Thanks for following my blog.
This should be every mother’s list! Your mom sounds awesome 🙂
Great post !